Yeddyurappa-loyalist minister sacked, MP suspended
New Delhi: Cracking the whip against BS Yeddyurappa loyalists in BJP and in the party-led government in Karnataka, Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Saturday sacked Cooperative Minister BJ Puttaswamy, a loyalist of the former chief minister, from the Cabinet.
Ahead of the launch of Yeddyurappa`s Karnataka Janata Party (KJP), state BJP also suspended his staunch supporter and Tumkur MP GS Basavaraj from the party and issued showcause notices to both Puttaswamy and Basavaraj.
"As a disciplinary measure, Puttaswamy has been dropped from the cabinet. He participated in so many meetings of the new party and campaigned for the new party. So, it is indiscipline in the party`s view. Have already sent the letter to the Governor to drop him from the cabinet," Shettar told reporters here.
Party state unit president and Deputy Chief Minister Easwarappa announced the decision to suspend Basavaraj from the party.
"In Karnataka, we are giving importance to discipline. One Lok Sabha member from Tumkur, Basavaraj... He is violating the party discipline. We all the core leaders from Karnataka sat with the national leaders and we have taken the decision to suspend Basavaraj," Easwarappa said.
The decision came a day after about 23 legislators and seven ministers attended the breakfast meet hosted by Yeddyurappa, who quit BJP recently, in solidarity with him.
Ministers CM Udasi, Murugesh Nirani, MP Renukacharya, V Somanna, BJ Puttaswamy, Shobha Karandlaje and Umesh Katti and about two dozen legislators were present at the meeting held at Belgaum.
Shettar and Easwarappa, who met senior BJP leaders including president Nitin Gadkari, also warned of strong action against Yeddyurappa`s other loyalists. Former chief minister DV Sadananda Gowda and party`s national leader Ananth Kumar were also present in the meeting.
"Anybody wants to go to KJP.... Yeddyurappaji has taken the decision. He has already given resignation from BJP and also from the state legislature. His followers also should do the same thing. Otherwise, we will take the disciplinary action," he said.
Yeddyurappa, who is all set to launch his new party, Karnataka Janata Party at Haveri on Sunday, has claimed the support of 30 BJP legislators and ministers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter