Yeddyurappa-loyalist minister sacked, MP suspended
New Delhi: Cracking the whip against BS Yeddyurappa loyalists in BJP and in the party-led government in Karnataka, Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Saturday sacked Cooperative Minister BJ Puttaswamy, a loyalist of the former chief minister, from the Cabinet.
Ahead of the launch of Yeddyurappa`s Karnataka Janata Party (KJP), state BJP also suspended his staunch supporter and Tumkur MP GS Basavaraj from the party and issued showcause notices to both Puttaswamy and Basavaraj.
"As a disciplinary measure, Puttaswamy has been dropped from the cabinet. He participated in so many meetings of the new party and campaigned for the new party. So, it is indiscipline in the party`s view. Have already sent the letter to the Governor to drop him from the cabinet," Shettar told reporters here.
Party state unit president and Deputy Chief Minister Easwarappa announced the decision to suspend Basavaraj from the party.
"In Karnataka, we are giving importance to discipline. One Lok Sabha member from Tumkur, Basavaraj... He is violating the party discipline. We all the core leaders from Karnataka sat with the national leaders and we have taken the decision to suspend Basavaraj," Easwarappa said.
The decision came a day after about 23 legislators and seven ministers attended the breakfast meet hosted by Yeddyurappa, who quit BJP recently, in solidarity with him.
Ministers CM Udasi, Murugesh Nirani, MP Renukacharya, V Somanna, BJ Puttaswamy, Shobha Karandlaje and Umesh Katti and about two dozen legislators were present at the meeting held at Belgaum.
Shettar and Easwarappa, who met senior BJP leaders including president Nitin Gadkari, also warned of strong action against Yeddyurappa`s other loyalists. Former chief minister DV Sadananda Gowda and party`s national leader Ananth Kumar were also present in the meeting.
"Anybody wants to go to KJP.... Yeddyurappaji has taken the decision. He has already given resignation from BJP and also from the state legislature. His followers also should do the same thing. Otherwise, we will take the disciplinary action," he said.
Yeddyurappa, who is all set to launch his new party, Karnataka Janata Party at Haveri on Sunday, has claimed the support of 30 BJP legislators and ministers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30