Boy donates heart valves of mom killed in mishap
Thiruvananthapuram: In a noble gesture, an 11-year-old boy has donated the heart valves of his mother, who died in a road mishap two days ago when she and her only son were on their way to the beach here for a Sunday outing.
Vishnu, a seventh standard student, and still to recover from the shock of his mother`s death, did not hesitate when doctors at the medical college hospital here asked him if he was willing to give consent for donation of his mother`s heart valves.
His mother`s death has rendered Vishnu an orphan as his father had died a few years ago.
The heart valves, removed during the post-mortem at the medical college, have been handed over to the Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Science and Techonolgy here.
According to Dr S K Jawahar of the Sree Chitra Institute, the valves would save lives of two heart patients.
"The recipients of these valves have not been identified yet. Before implanting it on any anybody, we have to go through such proceedings as sterilising tests to establish the worthiness of the valves," Dr Jawahar said.
"Through the test, we could confirm whether it is free of any infection. The whole procedure will take at least one month," he said.
The valves are now kept in the organ bank of the institute.
Radhika, a government employee, was riding her scooter with Vishnu on the pillion when an auto collided with her two-wheeler, police said.
Though she was rushed to a nearby private hospital, she was declared dead by the doctors there.
Vishnu, who suffered minor injuries, has been discharged from the hospital and is now staying with his uncle in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam