Centre urged to take up Tamils issue with SL
Kozhikode: The CPI-M on Monday urged the
Centre to take up political and diplomatic efforts to ensure
full rehabilitation and resettlement of the Tamil people in
Expressing concern at the plight of Tamils in Sri Lanka,
a resolution adopted at the party`s 20th congress said the
Centre should also impress upon the Sri Lankan government to
conduct an independent and credible enquiry into alleged human
rights violations there and reach a political settlement, based
on devolution of powers to the northern and eastern provinces.
The party stood for a united Sri Lanka where Tamil
minorities could live in peace with the majority Sinhala
community, the resolution said and appealed to all democratic
forces in the country to find a political solution to the
In another resolution, the congress wanted the Centre to
honour the assurance given by the Prime Minister to
sympathetically consider the legitimate demand of large number
of Bengali refugees to recognise them as citizens of India.
The congress also wanted a solution to the problem of
suspected foreigners illegally living in Assam. Most of the
foreigners tribunals set up for identifying such persons
were not functioning, it said in a resolution.
The congress also decided to organise a year-long
observance of the birth centenary of revolutionary Communist
leader P Sundarayya from May 1.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Whoa! Deepika Padukone meets Ranbir Kapoor, Fawad Khan on 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' sets?
- Punjab braveheart challenges J&K separatists, says will hoist tricolour at Srinagar's Lal Chowk on Aug 15 - Watch
- 'Kabali' mints $2 mn from North America premieres
- Delhi Police on terrorists' radar
- India vs West Indies: Satisfied to score double ton after forgettable debut, says Virat Kohli