Chandy writes to PM on Kochi Metro project
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy has voiced concern over the Centre deferring its decision to entrust work of the Rs 5,181 crore Kochi Metro project to Delhi Metro Rail Corporation, saying DMRC itself had evinced interest many times in the past in taking it up.
He noted that the Board of Kochi Metro Rail Limited had failed to take a decision on awarding work to DMRC despite five government representatives in the board seeking such a decision.
Chandy, in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, said that DMRC had a number of times in the past stated that it is willing to take up the project and was already handling preparatory works.
"The state government has full trust in the capability of DMRC and its Principal Adviser E Sreedharan to implement the project and get concessional finance for the same," he said.
The Prime Minister had laid the foundation stone for the Kochi Metro Project last month.
Chandy in a recent letter to Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had asked her to permit DMRC to take up work on Kochi Metro and monorail projects in Thiruvananthapuram and Kozhikode in view of the decision that DMRC needed permission of its Director Board to take up projects outside Delhi.
He said KMRL had the capability to carry out the work and no human resources would have to be diverted from DMRC for the work. "What the state needs is expertise in handling technically complex projects," he said.
Chandy wanted Dikshit to prevail on the Delhi government representatives in DMRC to facilitate a decision favouring Kerala.
The project ran into controversy after senior IAS officer and former KMRL Managing Director Tom Jose wrote to the Centre with regard to Sreedharan`s role in the Kochi Metro.
The government had sought an explanation from Jose for dashing off a letter to the Centre allegedly without its approval.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow