Electronic bangles to keep Kerala women safe?
Thiruvananthapuram: On the eve of International Women`s Day, Kerala is mulling over the use of electronic gadgets for the protection of women, a state minister revealed Wednesday.
"We have received proposals of an electronic bangle and varieties of SIM cards, which when activated by the women, can send an SOS to the nearest police station or to the Women Jagretha Samithis," Panchayat and Social Justice Minister M.K. Muneer said, on the sidelines of a meeting called to announce the various programmes that the state government is organising as part of Women`s Day celebrations.
"We plan to use these gadgets on a pilot project to check their efficacy. Before we decide on such things, we will take women into confidence to see if they are willing to take this forward. Nothing will be imposed upon (them) by us," Muneer said.
Muneer said that Kerala would, in a few months, become the first state in the country to implement the "Nirbhaya Scheme" proposed in the union budget, setting aside Rs.1,000 crore for the safety of women in a scheme that commemorates the 23-year-old student who died after being brutally gang-raped in the national capital Dec 2012.
On the implementation of the Nirbhaya Scheme in the state, Muneer said: "The chief minister is coordinating this, because it requires the full cooperation of various departments."
Muneer said that the state government is also considering increasing the number of working women`s hostels in the state.
"For this, we will tap funds from the centre through which we can set up more than one working women`s hostel in each of the 14 districts of the state," Muneer said.
Muneer said he hoped that by this time next year, Kerala would have made giant leaps in ensuring women a safe and secure environment.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees