FDI in retail: Traders in Kerala down shutters
Thiruvananthapuram : Trading activities came to a virtual halt across Kerala today as shop owners downed shutters to protest against the policies of the Central and state governments, including the decision to allow FDI in multi-brand retail.
Early reports from different centres said the response to the shut-down call given by traders` unions like Kerala Vyapari Vyavasayi Samiti (KVVES) has been total, especially in urban areas.
Majority of hoteliers also joined the dawn-to-dusk protest.
Other demands of the traders include correction of anomalies in implementation of the state Food Safety Act.
Leaders of the traders bodies wanted the Congress-led UDF Government in the state to come out in clear terms that FDI would not be permitted in the retail sector in the state.
"Though Chief Minister Oommen Chandy has said that FDI in retail will not be allowed in Kerala, the government is yet to come out with an unambiguous policy statement on the issue," a KVVES leader said.
They said KVVES was opposed to FDI in retail anywhere in the country as it would wipe out small and medium retailers in the country.
The hoteliers had voiced concern over authorities invoking provisions of the Food Safety Act in the wake of spurt in cases of stale and unhealthy food from eateries in different parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional