FDI in retail: Traders in Kerala down shutters
Thiruvananthapuram : Trading activities came to a virtual halt across Kerala today as shop owners downed shutters to protest against the policies of the Central and state governments, including the decision to allow FDI in multi-brand retail.
Early reports from different centres said the response to the shut-down call given by traders` unions like Kerala Vyapari Vyavasayi Samiti (KVVES) has been total, especially in urban areas.
Majority of hoteliers also joined the dawn-to-dusk protest.
Other demands of the traders include correction of anomalies in implementation of the state Food Safety Act.
Leaders of the traders bodies wanted the Congress-led UDF Government in the state to come out in clear terms that FDI would not be permitted in the retail sector in the state.
"Though Chief Minister Oommen Chandy has said that FDI in retail will not be allowed in Kerala, the government is yet to come out with an unambiguous policy statement on the issue," a KVVES leader said.
They said KVVES was opposed to FDI in retail anywhere in the country as it would wipe out small and medium retailers in the country.
The hoteliers had voiced concern over authorities invoking provisions of the Food Safety Act in the wake of spurt in cases of stale and unhealthy food from eateries in different parts of the state.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened