Fishermen row: Catholics join RSS to flay cardinal
New Delhi: The Catholics in Kerala has reacted strongly on Wednesday against the `reported` statement by the newly appointed Cardinal Mar George Alancherry on the killing of two Indian fishermen by Italian security officials.
Kochi-based George Alencherry, Major Archbishop of the Syro-Malabar Church in Kerala who was recently elected a Cardinal, had told a Catholic news agency, “In the episode, of course, there were errors, since the fishermen were mistaken for pirates. But it seems that the opposition party wants to take advantage of the situation and exploit the case for electoral reasons, speaking of `Western powers` or the `will of American dominance`."
"If he has actually said it, then we will have to express our protest to that statement," Father Rajesh Martin, spokesperson of the Latin Catholic Church of the Kollam dioceses, told reporters here on Wednesday.
Latin Archbishop Susai Pakiyam also expressed strong displeasure at bringing Vatican in the issue.
"I do not think that Cardinal will ever speak like what has been reported. We are Indians first and our country`s laws are first for us and we are bound by that only. Vatican will never ask us to take a position because we are bound to the Vatican only on religious matters and not on social and other local issues here," said Pakiyam.
Meanwhile, the RSS and the BJP have reacted strongly on `over stepping` by the Cardinal in the fishermen killing issue.
“Religious intervention in the issue is unwanted,” said RSS spokesperson Ram Madhav. BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitaraman said, “Any form of intervention in the probe is unacceptable.”
Under all round attack, Cardinal Mar George Alencherry in a press statement said he was misquoted by the Italian press agency . "The report of the Italian press agency is wrong. The agency removed the report and expressed their apology for the mistake. I have not tried to intervene in this matter, nor have I contacted any ministers regarding this”, he said.
"Two precious lives have been lost. Strong legal action should be taken against the guilty," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly