Four SFI activists sentenced to varying terms
Thrissur: A fast track court here has sentenced four SFI activists to between seven and eight years Rigorous Imprisonment and slapped fines totalling Rs 1.55 lakh on them for trying to murder an ABVP college chairman in February 2008.
The prosecution case was they stormed into Sree Krishna College, Guruvayur on February 28, 2008 while the final year M.Sc exams were on and hacked ABVP chairman Sanoop with lethal weapons, leaving him blinded in the left eye and with severe injuries on his head, face and legs.
Judge K Haripal on Tuesday sentenced the main accused to seven years RI and slapped a fine of Rs 1 lakh, while the second and the third accused were awarded eight years and three months sentence and imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 each.
The fourth person was sentenced to five years and three months RI and slapped a fine of Rs 5000, the judge said.
The judge observed that the four did not deserve any leniency for perpetrating such a heinous crime in the name of campus politics. He ordered them to pay the fine amount to Sanoop.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...