Ice cream parlour sex scandal: Achuthanandan files
Kozhikode: A local court here on Friday adjourned to July 30 the hearing on a petition filed by Opposition Leader in the Kerala Assembly VS Achuthanandan against the closure report submitted by the Special Investigation Team in the ice cream parlour sex scandal.
Achuthanandan personally appeared before the court and filed the petition seeking that his version would be also heard before the court takes a decision on the probe panel findings that there was no ground for re-opening the case based on the allegation that the original probe was sabotaged by IUML leader and state Industries Minister P K Kunhalikutty.
He also filed a petition seeking copy of the report of the police probe into the allegation that the case was sabotaged by Kunhalikutty.
Kerala government had yesterday assured the Supreme Court that it would provide Achuthanandan a copy of the charge sheet in the case.
The apex court had also issued notice to the government on Achuthanandan`s appeal against the Kerala High Court`s order refusing to give him a copy of the report submitted by the Special Investigating Team to the high court.
The probe team had last month submitted a report in a court here stating that there was no evidence to substantiate the charge that case was sabotaged.
The case pertains to allegations that an ice cream parlour in Kozhikode beach was used as a cover for running a sex racket in the late 1990s.
Though Kunhalikutty never became an accused in the case, he had come under a cloud in the wake of the scandal and even had to quite the ministry then.
The scandal surfaced last year, with a relative of Kunhalikutty alleging that he had helped him wriggle out of the case by indulging in improper means, including bribing the witnesses.
A fresh probe was ordered by the then LDF Government headed by VS Achuthanandan on revelations of KA Rauf, a relative of Kunhalikutty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued