Italian marines get gifts from colleagues
Kochi: Italian Defence Minister Giampaolo Di Paolo met the two Italian marines, who are facing trial for killing two Indian fishermen, and handed over gifts from their regiment colleagues based in Afghanistan.
The gifts -- a shawl each and T shirts, were sent by the marines of San Marco regiment based at Herat in Afghanistan for Massimiliano Latore and Salvatore Girone. They had affixed their signatures on the shawls, sources said.
Latore and Girone also belong to the same regiment. The gifts were handed over to the marines when they met Di Paolo at a five-star hotel here on Saturday night, they said.
The Italian minister addressed the media on Sunday morning, flanked by the two marines. Italy`s Defence Attaché Franco Favre was also present.
Di Paolo had arrived here last night from Herat, a province in Afghanistan, where at least 3,000 Italian military personnel are based. Three hundred of them would return to Italy for Christmas.
The marines, facing trial for shooting to death two Indian fishermen off the Kerala`s coast in February, have filed a petition in the Kerala High Court, seeking relaxation of their bail conditions to enable them celebrate Christmas with their families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical