Kerala forest minister quits over charges of domestic violence
Thiruvananthapuram: Facing charges of domestic violence slapped by his wife, Kerala Forest Minister KB Ganesh Kumar resigned from the Congress-led UDF ministry late Monday night.
Though the minister had rejected the allegation by his wife Yamini Thankachi as "baseless" and ruled out his resignation Monday evening, his position became untenable after his wife lodged a complaint against him in a police station in the city late last night.
Losing his ground, the actor-turned politician belonging to the Kerala Congress (B) drove to the official residence of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy by midnight and handed over his resignation.
Chief Minister`s office sources said the resignation letter will be forwarded to the Governor today.
The long-running family dispute reached a flashpoint yesterday with Kumar filing a divorce petition in a local court here. He alleged that he had been blackmailed and even manhandled by his wife Yamini.
Yamini, however, hit back alleging that she had been victim of domestic violence for the last 16 years and accused her hushand of having "illicit affairs." She also alleged that she did not receive justice from the Chief Minister Oommen Chandy whom she had approached with a complaint against her husband.
The issue also came as a huge embarrassment for the ruling UDF and its top leaders were learnt to have advised Ganesh Kumar to quit after his estranged wife lodging a complaint with the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda