Kerala Police arrest Chinese officer of Panama vessel
Kochi: A Chinese crew member of the Panamian flagged Japanese cargo vessel, which hit and destroyed a fishing country craft off Beypore near Kozhikode, was arrested on Friday night for alleged negligence, police sources said.
The crew, Yea Li, a Second Officer of the vessel MV Izumo was brought to the costal police station here and arrested under IPC Sections 280 (Rash navigation of vessel), 337 (Causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) and 427 (Mischief causing damage) which are bailable offences. He was on duty at the deck when the incident had occurred.
Police sources said he was later granted bail.
The captain of the vessel was also questioned.
Forensic experts collected evidence from the vessel today. The ship`s log book, GPS log book, navigation chart and sailing instructions were seized by police.
The ship will be allowed to leave Kochi waters after permission is obtained from Mercantile Marine Department, Coast Guard, Kochin Port sources said.
Kozhikode Assistant Commissioner (Law and Order) Premachandran, Coastal Police station Beypore Circle Inspector Raju and CI of Coastal Police Station, Kochi, Hariharan, went to the ship and brought the Chinese crew, police sources said.
Rafeeq, one of the three persons who were aboard the country craft when it was hit and had jumped into the waters, arrived here and identified the vessel.
Beypore police registered a case against the ship.
The ship, owned by NYK Hinode Line ltd of Tokyo, was intercepted and brought to Kochi after the incident and is now anchored off Kochi waters.
The Singapore-bound vessel from Kandla carrying a cargo of soyabeans had not stopped after the collision and continued with its journey. Under the impact of the collision, the fishing craft broke into two and sank.
The ship has a 21-member crew of whom 19 are Chinese and one each from Myanmar and Taiwan.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list