Kerala Police arrest Chinese officer of Panama vessel
Kochi: A Chinese crew member of the Panamian flagged Japanese cargo vessel, which hit and destroyed a fishing country craft off Beypore near Kozhikode, was arrested on Friday night for alleged negligence, police sources said.
The crew, Yea Li, a Second Officer of the vessel MV Izumo was brought to the costal police station here and arrested under IPC Sections 280 (Rash navigation of vessel), 337 (Causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) and 427 (Mischief causing damage) which are bailable offences. He was on duty at the deck when the incident had occurred.
Police sources said he was later granted bail.
The captain of the vessel was also questioned.
Forensic experts collected evidence from the vessel today. The ship`s log book, GPS log book, navigation chart and sailing instructions were seized by police.
The ship will be allowed to leave Kochi waters after permission is obtained from Mercantile Marine Department, Coast Guard, Kochin Port sources said.
Kozhikode Assistant Commissioner (Law and Order) Premachandran, Coastal Police station Beypore Circle Inspector Raju and CI of Coastal Police Station, Kochi, Hariharan, went to the ship and brought the Chinese crew, police sources said.
Rafeeq, one of the three persons who were aboard the country craft when it was hit and had jumped into the waters, arrived here and identified the vessel.
Beypore police registered a case against the ship.
The ship, owned by NYK Hinode Line ltd of Tokyo, was intercepted and brought to Kochi after the incident and is now anchored off Kochi waters.
The Singapore-bound vessel from Kandla carrying a cargo of soyabeans had not stopped after the collision and continued with its journey. Under the impact of the collision, the fishing craft broke into two and sank.
The ship has a 21-member crew of whom 19 are Chinese and one each from Myanmar and Taiwan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Hafiz Saeed says JuD won't allow Hindu temples in Pakistan to be destroyed
- Bangla SC to pronounce fate of Jamaat-e-Islami chief on May 5
- Singapore detains 8 Bangladeshis for alleged IS-related terror plot
- 3 percent quota for differently-abled, not implemented: Govt
- Suspended cop held for extorting Rs 10L from Delhi University boys gets bail