LDF in Kerala alleges misuse of vigilance, police
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI-M led LDF opposition members in Kerala on Tuesday staged a walkout in the Assembly protesting the Speaker`s refusal to allow a debate on an adjournment motion on alleged misuse of vigilance and police by government to "implicate" political opponents in false cases.
Replying to a notice for the motion, both Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan denied the charge and said the government was only implementing the law and justice.
Radhakrishnan justified the government`s decision to go in for an appeal against the High Court single bench order quashing the FIR against Opposition leader V S Achuthanandan in a land gift case as government was of the view that single bench order was `extra ordinary`.
Seeking leave for the motion, former Home Minister and CPI-M politburo member Kodiyeri Balakrishnan charged the government with abuse of vigilance and police to silence their leaders and the case against Achuthanandan was a best example for it.
Balakrishnan also brought to the notice the High Court single bench`s observation against the government while quashing the FIR against Achuthanandan in the case.
He wanted the `political hostility` attitude of the government towards opposition to be corrected and said the High Court observation should open the eyes of the government.
However, Balakrishnan said opposition would resist the government move to "trap" its leaders in cases. The government attempt was to divert people`s attention from its failure, he alleged.
Before walking out, Achuthanandan said the land case against him was bogus and alleged that he was implicated in the case because he was still fighting cases against Chandy (in Palmolive import corruption case) and IUML leader and Industries Minister P K Kunhalikutty (ice cream sex scandal).
The Opposition leader said he was aware of the fact that some of the leaders in UDF used to make frequent phone calls to the officials probing the land case against him. `Truth will come out one day`, he said.
Speaker G Karthikeyan disallowed the opposition plea for debate after the reply of Chandy and Radhakrishnan, following which the opposition staged a walk out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in