LDF walkout in assembly against police lathi-charge
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI-M-led LDF Opposition members in Kerala today staged a walkout in the Assembly to protest police lathicharge on pro-CPI-M student outfit Students Federation of India activists at Kozhikode.
SFI had taken a march yesterday as part of their campaign against alleged irregularities in Universities in the state.
Replying to a notice for an adjournment motion moved by A Pradeepkumar (CPI-M), State Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala said it was not the policy of the government to suppress students` agitation.
He said police maintained restraint but acted when students pelted stones at them. Nine police personnel were injured in stone pelting, he said, adding SFI state secretary T P Bineesh was also injured.
However, Pradeepkumar said several functionaries sustained injuries in the lathi-charge.
Not satisfied with government response, Opposition members led by its leader and CPI-M veteran V S Achuthanandan walked out of the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown