LDF walkout in assembly against police lathi-charge
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI-M-led LDF Opposition members in Kerala today staged a walkout in the Assembly to protest police lathicharge on pro-CPI-M student outfit Students Federation of India activists at Kozhikode.
SFI had taken a march yesterday as part of their campaign against alleged irregularities in Universities in the state.
Replying to a notice for an adjournment motion moved by A Pradeepkumar (CPI-M), State Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala said it was not the policy of the government to suppress students` agitation.
He said police maintained restraint but acted when students pelted stones at them. Nine police personnel were injured in stone pelting, he said, adding SFI state secretary T P Bineesh was also injured.
However, Pradeepkumar said several functionaries sustained injuries in the lathi-charge.
Not satisfied with government response, Opposition members led by its leader and CPI-M veteran V S Achuthanandan walked out of the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA