LDF walkout in assembly against police lathi-charge
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI-M-led LDF Opposition members in Kerala today staged a walkout in the Assembly to protest police lathicharge on pro-CPI-M student outfit Students Federation of India activists at Kozhikode.
SFI had taken a march yesterday as part of their campaign against alleged irregularities in Universities in the state.
Replying to a notice for an adjournment motion moved by A Pradeepkumar (CPI-M), State Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala said it was not the policy of the government to suppress students` agitation.
He said police maintained restraint but acted when students pelted stones at them. Nine police personnel were injured in stone pelting, he said, adding SFI state secretary T P Bineesh was also injured.
However, Pradeepkumar said several functionaries sustained injuries in the lathi-charge.
Not satisfied with government response, Opposition members led by its leader and CPI-M veteran V S Achuthanandan walked out of the House.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Experts for central epidemiological database to deal with bio-terrorism
- Cleric suspended after selfies with Pakistan`s `Kim Kardashian`
- Taj Mahal, Vaishno Devi among 10 iconic places to be cleaned!
- Deadlock persists as China leads opposition to India's NSG membership bid
- India slips one spot to 12th rank in millionaire population