LDF walkout in assembly against police lathi-charge
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI-M-led LDF Opposition members in Kerala today staged a walkout in the Assembly to protest police lathicharge on pro-CPI-M student outfit Students Federation of India activists at Kozhikode.
SFI had taken a march yesterday as part of their campaign against alleged irregularities in Universities in the state.
Replying to a notice for an adjournment motion moved by A Pradeepkumar (CPI-M), State Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala said it was not the policy of the government to suppress students` agitation.
He said police maintained restraint but acted when students pelted stones at them. Nine police personnel were injured in stone pelting, he said, adding SFI state secretary T P Bineesh was also injured.
However, Pradeepkumar said several functionaries sustained injuries in the lathi-charge.
Not satisfied with government response, Opposition members led by its leader and CPI-M veteran V S Achuthanandan walked out of the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?