Nurses strike settled in Kochi
Kochi: The 78-day strike by 172 nurses of a private hospital in neighbouring Thrissur district to press their various demands, has been called off after a settlement was reached following talks the mediation centre of the Kerala High Court held with the management and nurses.
The nurses would be reinstated, with the condition that they would have to forego 12 days salary, mediation centre sources said.
The management also decided to keep in abeyance the suspension of 15 other nurses for completing the inquiry against them. They would be allowed to sign the attendance register and avail the salary, but they cannot join for work, the sources said.
The strike was settled yesterday following discussions the mediation centre had with the management and nurses since the past five days.
Totally 187 nurses were on strike of which 15 had been suspended by the management.
It was also decided that all nurses would work for 12 days without salary to enable management of the private Mothers hospital to admit patients.
The nurses of the hospital went on strike demanding, among other things, hike in salaries.
The Management of the Hospital approached the High Court for declaring the strike illegal following which the matter was referred to the Kerala High Court`s mediation centre.
Expressing solidarity with the striking nurses, nurses of various other hospitals in Thrissur district had also go on strike since the past few days.
These nurses would be reinstated in service, but they will not be entitled to get a salary for two days,it was stated.
As per the agreement, the nurses cannot go on a lightning strike without a 14-day notice to the management and the mediation centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands