Oommen Chandy faces heat over PA’s misdemeanour
Thiruvananthapuram: For the second consecutive day, the CPM-led LDF opposition today targeted Chief Minister Oommen Chandy in the Kerala Assembly over the telephone calls allegedly made by his personal assistant to a woman arrested for serious financial offences.
Staging a walk-out in the house, deputy leader of the Opposition Kodiyeri Balakrishnan accused Mr Chandy of shielding Mr Joppan, who had allegedly made a large number of calls to Saritha Nair, arrested earlier this month.
The Opposition demanded to know whether Mr Chandy was ready to order a judicial inquiry into the matter since his office had come under the shadow of suspicion.
Responding to the charge, the Chief Minister said a special police team would be set up to investigate the cases against the woman. The probe would also ascertain if his PA had intervened in the matter.
"I don`t want to protect anyone. But I would not sacrifice anyone to save my skin. Let us wait for the
investigation", he said.
Mr Chandy said since the opposition had taken the matter seriously, he would seek an interim report from the police and decide whether action should be taken against the PA.
The Chief Minister said most of the cases against Saritha Nair pertained to cheating people promising that she would secure them solar energy distribution agencies using her influence within and outside the state.
Earlier, seeking an adjournment on the issue, CPM`s Raju Abraham alleged that frequent phone calls had been made by the PA on the days preceding Saritha`s arrest. Apart from his personal mobile, the official phones at the Chief Minister`s office and residence were also used for making calls to the woman by the PA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter