Pay Rs 50, 000 to tortured prison inmate: NHRC to Kerala govt
New Delhi: National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Monday asked the Kerala government to pay Rs 50,000 as monetary relief to a prison inmate who was allegedly tortured by a jail warder in a Central Jail of Thrissur.
According to a NHRC release issued today, the Commission has directed the Chief Secretary, Kerala government to submit compliance report along with proof of payment within six weeks.
The order came after NHRC set aside Kerala Government`s contention into the matter that the rights panel should not proceed in the case as the concerned Jail Warder had been transferred on disciplinary ground.
The Commission observed that it is unfortunate that the disciplinary authority took such a lenient view in the matter and the delinquent officer was allowed to escape with a transfer.
The rights panel had taken cognisance of the incident on the basis of a complaint received from a human rights defender. He had alleged that on May 19, 2012, the Jail Head Warder meted out inhuman and degrading treatment to Vinu, a convict prisoner in Central Jail, Viyyur, Thrissur, Kerala.
This was confirmed in the enquiry report of the Kerala Government submitted to the Commission in response to its notices, the statement said.
The state government had pleaded for dropping proceedings in the matter when the Commission in its show cause notice had asked why monetary relief should not be paid to the victim for violation of his human rights.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened