Plea to restructure liquor policy
Kochi: The Tourism Industry Coordination Council has urged the state government to totally restructure the liquor policy by amending rules.
Various associations representing tourism industry has proposed total deregulation in production and distribution of liquor in the state stating that uncertainty in formulating liquor policies, confusion in implementing the regulations and restricting the licenses only to 5 star hotels will severely hit the tourism industry.
In a statement here, Johny Abraham George, President, Kerala Travel Mart, Gopinath, President Association of Approved and Classified Hotels of Kerala and Jose Dominic, Past President KTM and TIE Kerala, urged the government to amend the rules in the liquor policy and provide licences to one star hotel and reinstate the issuance of licence to leading restaurants.
The license fees for Bars should be brought down to Rs 10 lakh and Rs 5000 for Beer and Wine parlours, the council said.
The council also urged issuance of licences to house boats, home stays, serviced villas and major restaurants which will boost the industry.
The government`s plans to limit liquor permits only to 5 star hotels will not help the industry, it said, adding, majority of tourists depend on other hotels and resorts and denial of liquor will make it less attractive.
Kerala Government had recently refrained from renewing the licenses of 418 bars in the state stating that they had to upgrade themselves.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!