Reprieve for Achuthanandan in land controversy
Kochi: Veteran CPI-M leader VS Achuthanandan, who is the prime accused in a land controversy, Thursday got reprieve when a single-judge bench of the high court quashed the FIR - but the state government decided to go in appeal.
Single-bench judge S.S. Sateeshchandran asked the first information report (FIR) to be cancelled because it had no merit in it.
The court said that it appeared that Achuthanandan misused his office to do favouritism, but there was no proof to validate it. It also pointed out that the investigating officer knew little about the procedure.
The state vigilance had arraigned Achuthanandan as the prime accused in the land controversy involving his relative.
Reacting to the verdict, Achuthanandan said the game plan of both Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and Industries Minister P.K. Kunhalikutty to replace him with someone else had failed.
"...See if you can unearth any conspiracy to malign me. The people have now come to know of the truth," said Achuthanandan.
In June last year, the Chandy government ordered a vigilance probe related to the land transfer to T.K. Soman, a relative of Achuthanandan.
The cabinet also decided to cancel the land allotment at Kasargod district to Soman, a former defence official.
The alleged land transfer took place at the fag-end of Achuthanandan`s tenure as chief minister in early 2011.
On Wednesday, Chief Minister Chandy and Achuthanandan had lashed out at each other on the case.
Achuthanandan had said that he is being targeted, to which Chandy had replied that the law will take its own course.
State Home and Vigilance Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan said they will go for appeal to the appellate authority.
"We always respect the courts and we will certainly go in appeal against the single-bench verdict to the concerned appellate authority," said Radhakrishnan.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre