VS remarks on woman activist unfortunate: Antony
Piravom (Kerala): Defence Minister A K
Antony today described as unfortunate the `unsavoury` remarks
of Opposition leader V S Achutanandan against former CPI(M)
leader Sindhu Joy.
"I never expected a leader of Achuthanandan`s stature to
use such words. It is unfortunate. Being a former Chief
Minister and one of the senior-most political leaders in
Kerala, he should use words carefully", Antony said.
Antony was addressing a UDF meeting at Mullanthurthy in
Pirvaom, where a bypoll is scheduled on March 17.
Achuthanandan`s remark on Sunday last had evoked sharp
reactions from various leaders cutting across the political
The veteran CPI(M) leader had later tried to make amends
by issuing a clarification saying his words had been
Earlier addressing a meeting Sindhu Joy, who had quit the
party on the eve of the assembly polls last year and joined
Congress, demanded that Achuthanandan be removed as Opposition
leader in the assembly for his remarks, which she said
amounted to an attack on all women in Kerala.
The woman activist alleged the CPI(M) had used her as a
`bay leaf` and discarded her. The language used by a leader of
Achutanandan`s stature is unbecoming of a person of his
stature and is an "insult to all women", she averred.
Socialist Janata Democratic leader M P Veerendra Kumar
said he respected Achutanandan but he should have refrained
from using such language against a woman act
ivist and tender
an apology to her on realising his mistake.
Kerala Finance minister K M Mani asserted Achuthanandan
had insulted all women and urged the women of Piravom to give
a fitting reply to the LDF on March 17.
KPCC President Ramesh Chennithala demanded that
Achuthanandan withdraw his remarks and apologise to Sindhu
Joy. "Otherwise it is an insult to all women," she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?