10 Congressmen injured in protest against potholes
Indore: At least ten party men were Wednesday injured as police resorted to a lathi charge to disperse scores of Congressmen blocking the AB highway demanding repair of potholes in the entire city.
Furious over potholes on roads during ongoing rainy season causing inconvenience to public, Indore district Congressmen led by Jitu Patwari held a protest-cum-sit-in on the main highway connecting Agra-Bombay via Indore at Choitharam circle and Falbag area here amid drizzling, the police said.
The police had to use force to disperse the crowd and clear the traffic which they had jammed for over 30 minutes, a senior police official from Rajendra Nagar police station said.
District Congress leader Patwari told a news agency that at least ten party men and a couple of lensmen were beaten up by cops, followed by a heavy lathi charge on them. Many of them were given first aid, he said.
"We also did not want to stop traffic on the road, but the district administration did not care for our protest and no one from the collector`s office turned up to pay heed to our demands," he said.
Nobody has been arrested in the matter, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- MPCA to decide on holding elections in Monday's AGM
- The solar system is home to millions of Jupiter-like planets, reveals NASA!
- Force India move up to fourth after strong finish in Belgium
- If Kashmir issue is not resolved under Modi, it will never be resolved: Mehbooba
- Magical Ravichandran Ashwin hits 200; Lendl Simmons becomes his latest bunny