10 Congressmen injured in protest against potholes
Indore: At least ten party men were Wednesday injured as police resorted to a lathi charge to disperse scores of Congressmen blocking the AB highway demanding repair of potholes in the entire city.
Furious over potholes on roads during ongoing rainy season causing inconvenience to public, Indore district Congressmen led by Jitu Patwari held a protest-cum-sit-in on the main highway connecting Agra-Bombay via Indore at Choitharam circle and Falbag area here amid drizzling, the police said.
The police had to use force to disperse the crowd and clear the traffic which they had jammed for over 30 minutes, a senior police official from Rajendra Nagar police station said.
District Congress leader Patwari told a news agency that at least ten party men and a couple of lensmen were beaten up by cops, followed by a heavy lathi charge on them. Many of them were given first aid, he said.
"We also did not want to stop traffic on the road, but the district administration did not care for our protest and no one from the collector`s office turned up to pay heed to our demands," he said.
Nobody has been arrested in the matter, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details