Bhopal gas tragedy: Rs 10 lakh compensation sort
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh government has
sought a compensation of Rs 10 lakh each from the Centre`s
Group of Ministers (GOM) to the kin of 15,342 deceased in the
Bhopal Gas tragedy as per the revised death figures in the
A decision in this regard was taken in the quarterly
review meeting of the Gas Relief and Rehabilitation Department
yesterday chaired by State Chief Minister Shivraj Singh
Chouhan, official sources said on Tuesday.
For this purpose, representatives of the gas victims will
be meeting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Delhi soon.
"At present, enhanced death compensation has been awarded
to 5,295 deceased of the tragedy while we have demanded that
it should be given to 15,342 persons who have died so far
because of the ill-effects of the poisnous gas leak as stated
in the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) report,"
State Gas Relief and Rehabilitation Minister Babulal Gaur told
Chouhan said the state government is backing demands of
gas-affected people and is also making efforts for their
The meeting was also informed that a new action plan
worth Rs 272.75 crore has been sanctioned by the Union
During next three years, Rs 33.55 crore for medical
rehabilitation, Rs 104 crore for economic rehabilitation, Rs
85.20 crore for social rehabilitation and Rs 50 crore will be
made available for drinking water arrangements in the
gas-affected areas, they said.
Besides, Rs 94.69 crore has been spent as per the action
plan so far.
Giving information about decisions of the GoM, the
meeting was told that compensation worth Rs 10 lakh each will
be provided to the kin 5295 deceased persons, Rs five lakh
each to 4,944 who suffered permanent disability and whose
working capacity has reduced, official sources said.
Also, Rs two lakh each will be given to 3000 kidney
and cancer patients and Rs one lakh each to 34,455 persons who
have suffered temporary disability. The assistance will be
made available to total 48,694 gas-affected persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP