Bhopal gas tragedy: Rs 10 lakh compensation sort
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh government has
sought a compensation of Rs 10 lakh each from the Centre`s
Group of Ministers (GOM) to the kin of 15,342 deceased in the
Bhopal Gas tragedy as per the revised death figures in the
A decision in this regard was taken in the quarterly
review meeting of the Gas Relief and Rehabilitation Department
yesterday chaired by State Chief Minister Shivraj Singh
Chouhan, official sources said on Tuesday.
For this purpose, representatives of the gas victims will
be meeting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Delhi soon.
"At present, enhanced death compensation has been awarded
to 5,295 deceased of the tragedy while we have demanded that
it should be given to 15,342 persons who have died so far
because of the ill-effects of the poisnous gas leak as stated
in the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) report,"
State Gas Relief and Rehabilitation Minister Babulal Gaur told
Chouhan said the state government is backing demands of
gas-affected people and is also making efforts for their
The meeting was also informed that a new action plan
worth Rs 272.75 crore has been sanctioned by the Union
During next three years, Rs 33.55 crore for medical
rehabilitation, Rs 104 crore for economic rehabilitation, Rs
85.20 crore for social rehabilitation and Rs 50 crore will be
made available for drinking water arrangements in the
gas-affected areas, they said.
Besides, Rs 94.69 crore has been spent as per the action
plan so far.
Giving information about decisions of the GoM, the
meeting was told that compensation worth Rs 10 lakh each will
be provided to the kin 5295 deceased persons, Rs five lakh
each to 4,944 who suffered permanent disability and whose
working capacity has reduced, official sources said.
Also, Rs two lakh each will be given to 3000 kidney
and cancer patients and Rs one lakh each to 34,455 persons who
have suffered temporary disability. The assistance will be
made available to total 48,694 gas-affected persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part II
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part III
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting
- Islamic State supporters hail deadly Munich shooting on social media
- 1st Test, Day 2 Report: Kohli double ton, Ashwin century put India in charge against West Indies
- Silicon Valley leads avalanche of quarterly reports
- UN backs plan to rid Libya of chemical weapons