Congress slams BJP government for deteriorating law and order
Raipur: In the wake of the train hijacking incident on Wednesday, to free an undertrial in Durg district, the main opposition Congress today slammed the BJP government for the deteriorating law and order situation in the state.
The party has alleged that incidents of loot, murder, rape, molestation and theft are on the rise and people are living in fear.
"Incidents of loot, murder, rape and molestation continue to increase in the state and it seems the government is not at all serious to maintain law and order," Congress spokesperson Shailesh Nitin Trivedi said.
"The recent incident of hijacking a train to free a criminal has shocked everyone. The reckless attitude of the government machinery is responsible for increase in crime," he said.
There is need to make the police more responsive to security needs of citizens and particularly vulnerable sections like women, elderly and children who need special attention, he said.
Recently, around eight armed criminals allegedly "hijacked" the Gondia-Durg Jan Shatabdi Express near Kumhari railway station of the district on Wednesday, to free an undertrial Upendra Singh who is accused in a kidnapping case.
The incident took place when Singh was returning to Bilaspur in the train under a police escort comprising two constables and a head constable, after attending a court hearing at Durg, the police said.
At a place between Charoda and Sarona railway stations, the criminals allegedly attacked the police escorts with chilli powder and country made guns.
Later, they reached the engine room and allegedly forced the driver and his assistant under gunpoint to stop the train at a place specified by them.
They managed to flee with the undertrial Upendra Singh near Kevalyadham, located on the Durg-Raipur border, he said.
The police arrested three culprits who were involved in the crime on Thursday while a manhunt is on to nab the other criminals including Upendra Singh.
A cash reward of Rs 50,000 for information leading to Singh`s arrest, has also been announced by the police.
Singh is among the main culprits allegedly involved in kidnapping a businessman called Jaichand Baid, in 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it