Displaced by dam, MP villagers protest in water
Bhopal: Nearly 250 people displaced by the Omkareshwar dam project in Madhya Pradesh have been protesting since Saturday by standing in waist-deep water.
And the protest has been on even though the water level continues to rise.
Dubbed as ‘jal satyagraha’, the displaced people had announced their protest last month at Ghogalgaon village in the East Nimar region.
The protest is against the Madhya Pradesh government’s move to allow a four-metre rise in the water level in the dam, from 189 to 193 metres. The protesters say increasing the water level in the dam would submerge their lands spread across several villages.
The 520-MW Omkareshwar project on Narmada river is among the several big dams in the state.
“The government is acting in violation of SC orders and trying to drive the oustees away without rehabilitation by submerging their lands and houses. But the oustees have resolved that they will not give in and will rather drown than be driven away,” Alok Agarwal of the Narmada Bachao Andolan reportedly said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed