Ex-MLA wins Congress firsst `primary` for Indore LS seat
Indore: Rahul Gandhi`s experiment of choosing Congress candidates for upcoming Lok Sabha polls through the "primaries" system yielded its first result today with a former party MLA emerging as a winner to contest from Indore.
Satyanarayan Patel won the `primary` for selecting the Congress candidate for the Indore Lok Sabha constituency getting 573 of the 751 votes cast in an internal vote involving party members.
46-year-old Patel`s candidature will, however, have to be finalised by the Congress`s central leadership, party sources said.
Party primaries -- internal elections for choosing a the candidate -- on the lines of the system in the US is Congress Vice President`s pet idea.
"To ensure party worker`s direct participation in selecting the candidate for the Lok Sabha polls, 16 seats including Indore have been identified for primaries. Patel won here, getting 573 votes," Congress secretary for Madhya Pradesh Sanjay Nirupam told reporters here.
Patel`s rivals Yogesh Yadav got 96 votes while Archana Jaiswal bagged 57 ballots.
Though a total of 1,366 Congress members had registered as voters, only 751 turned up.
An elated Patel said he would work with the senior leaders and workers to end BJP`s 25 years long stranglehold over the constituency.
Rahul has reiterated his resolve to replicate the primaries system of choosing candidates with the collective decision of Congress workers in a particular region if the pilot project of holding it in the 16 Parliamentary seats for the forthcoming elections bore fruit.
However, some party leaders like Union minister Beni Prasad Varma have openly voiced reservations over this system.
He did not agree with Rahul`s formula for candidate selections, saying that the primary process of selecting candidates in two UP Lok Sabha seats was equivalent to an "auction".
"With all due respect to Mr Rahul Gandhi, I do not agree with this experiment in Sant Kabir Nagar and Ambedkar Nagar Lok Sabha seats. Several Samajwadi workers are becoming voters of the Congress to derail the process,? he said, adding that such experiments were not meant for UP because the party organisation in the state is not strong enough.
BJP`s Sumitra Mahajan(70) has been consistently winning from Indore since 1989. She has said she is willing to contest this time too. Patel lost to her by 11,480 votes last time.
Reacting to Patel`s victory in the internal election, Mahajan said, "I had defeated him in the last election, but elections are like a battle, and we don`t take our opponents lightly."
Patel lost in the Assembly elections last November, failing to retain his traditional Depalpur seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015