Madhya Pradesh pushes for honourable identity to transgenders
Bhopal: With an aim to give an honourable identity to transgenders, Madhya Pradesh Government has suggested that the third gender members be addressed by adding "Tgr" before their names on the lines of "Mr, Mrs and Ms in English and "Ki" in Hindi.
The State Government has sent a proposal in this regard to the Centre.
"The Government is facing problems in identifying the large number of persons belonging to transgender category. We, therefore, have proposed to Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment to identify them with three alphabet letters "Tgr" on the lines of Mr/Mrs/Ms in English," Social Justice Department Secretary VK Batham told PTI today.
Similarly, the kinnars (transgenders) can be identified as "Ki" on the lines of "Shri, Shrimati and Sushri in Hindi, he said.
"This will help in giving them an honourable identity and recognising them in various Government records like voter list and beneficiary of welfare schemes," Batham said.
Madhya Pradesh has also formed a board which will not only maintain a database of transgenders in the state but also provide them with Government jobs as per their skill and ability, the Secretary said.
The Government will soon appoint a chairperson from among the community for the Kinnar Board constituted for their welfare, he said.
The board will create awareness among the third gender about ongoing welfare programmes related to literacy, sanitation and health, Batham said.
According to official estimates, there are nearly 2,500 transgenders in Madhya Pradesh but their actual number could be higher. Most of them make a living by singing and dancing at various celebrations, Batham said.
Their income is meagre and when they grow old, they become financially dependent on their "chelas" (students). The Board will effectively address this and other problems being faced by the community members, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees