Madhya Pradesh pushes for honourable identity to transgenders
Bhopal: With an aim to give an honourable identity to transgenders, Madhya Pradesh Government has suggested that the third gender members be addressed by adding "Tgr" before their names on the lines of "Mr, Mrs and Ms in English and "Ki" in Hindi.
The State Government has sent a proposal in this regard to the Centre.
"The Government is facing problems in identifying the large number of persons belonging to transgender category. We, therefore, have proposed to Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment to identify them with three alphabet letters "Tgr" on the lines of Mr/Mrs/Ms in English," Social Justice Department Secretary VK Batham told PTI today.
Similarly, the kinnars (transgenders) can be identified as "Ki" on the lines of "Shri, Shrimati and Sushri in Hindi, he said.
"This will help in giving them an honourable identity and recognising them in various Government records like voter list and beneficiary of welfare schemes," Batham said.
Madhya Pradesh has also formed a board which will not only maintain a database of transgenders in the state but also provide them with Government jobs as per their skill and ability, the Secretary said.
The Government will soon appoint a chairperson from among the community for the Kinnar Board constituted for their welfare, he said.
The board will create awareness among the third gender about ongoing welfare programmes related to literacy, sanitation and health, Batham said.
According to official estimates, there are nearly 2,500 transgenders in Madhya Pradesh but their actual number could be higher. Most of them make a living by singing and dancing at various celebrations, Batham said.
Their income is meagre and when they grow old, they become financially dependent on their "chelas" (students). The Board will effectively address this and other problems being faced by the community members, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics