Minor girls sent to boys` hostel as punishment
Bhopal: A non-government organisation (NGO) based in Madhya Pradesh, tasked with the welfare of minor girls, has been accused of sending the girls – most of them disabled and mentally weak – to boys hostel as “punishment”.
The Times of India reported that the matter came to light several months after the NGO started the practice.
Bright Star Social Society, based in Sehore, was entrusted with running separate hostels for boys and girls.
The matter came to light on Tuesday when a team from the State Commission for Protection of Child Rights (SCPCR) conducted raids in the Mandi area of Sehore, located at a short distance from the state capital Bhopal.
The team discovered that the girls were not in a stable mental state and were too afraid to talk. The girls were forcibly sent to the boys` hostel next door whenever they committed any “mistake” or complained about poor facilities.
"Senior madam would send us to the boys whenever she thought we should be punished for something we had done wrong," one of the girls told the SCPCR officials, reported The Times of India. "We were then made to do dirty things. Often we were thrashed."
The SCPCR team also discovered that out of a total 48 girls enrolled only 30 were present in hostel premises on the day raids were conducted.
NGO secretary Avanish Jaffery told the team that 18 girls hadn`t turned up since the Diwali vacation. Also, all the 30 girls were found to be stacked up in one room of 11 feet by 11 feet.
The district authorities have, meanwhile, cancelled the licence of the NGO to run the hostels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?