MLA booked for assaulting police officer
Sambalpur: BJP MLA Jaynarayan Mishra and two others were booked by police for allegedly assaulting a deputy superintendent of police (DSP) during a religious procession here, police said Tuesday.
Besides Mishra, former municipal chairman Girish Patel and BJP leader Siba Agarwal were booked for allegedly abusing and assaulting DSP J Senapati during the procession on the occasion of Hanuman Jayanti celebrations on Sunday.
He said the case against the three leaders was filed yesterday after the DSP lodged a complaint.
Refuting the allegation, Mishra said filing of the FIR was a surprising development as the SP had thanked him for peaceful conduct of the procession even though several devotees were agitated when police prevented them from holding celebrations at a particular place.
It was alleged that Mishra manhandled the DSP when police tried to restrict the procession near the place of worship of another community, police said.
The three men had been booked for wrongful assembly, assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharging duty, wrongful restraint and obscene act in public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event
- Al Qaeda chief urges kidnappings of Westerners for prisoner swaps - SITE
- Japan logs first half-year trade surplus since Fukushima
- Attacks on France, Germany their own fault: Donald Trump