MLA booked for assaulting police officer
Sambalpur: BJP MLA Jaynarayan Mishra and two others were booked by police for allegedly assaulting a deputy superintendent of police (DSP) during a religious procession here, police said Tuesday.
Besides Mishra, former municipal chairman Girish Patel and BJP leader Siba Agarwal were booked for allegedly abusing and assaulting DSP J Senapati during the procession on the occasion of Hanuman Jayanti celebrations on Sunday.
He said the case against the three leaders was filed yesterday after the DSP lodged a complaint.
Refuting the allegation, Mishra said filing of the FIR was a surprising development as the SP had thanked him for peaceful conduct of the procession even though several devotees were agitated when police prevented them from holding celebrations at a particular place.
It was alleged that Mishra manhandled the DSP when police tried to restrict the procession near the place of worship of another community, police said.
The three men had been booked for wrongful assembly, assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharging duty, wrongful restraint and obscene act in public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan welcomes appointment of Urjit Patel as his successor
- French court suspends burkini ban after challenge
- Flipkart rejigs top order to 'simplify' organisation
- PM Modi announces task force to prepare action plan for next three Olympic Games
- US economic growth estimate for 2nd quarter cut to 1.1%