MLA booked for assaulting police officer
Sambalpur: BJP MLA Jaynarayan Mishra and two others were booked by police for allegedly assaulting a deputy superintendent of police (DSP) during a religious procession here, police said Tuesday.
Besides Mishra, former municipal chairman Girish Patel and BJP leader Siba Agarwal were booked for allegedly abusing and assaulting DSP J Senapati during the procession on the occasion of Hanuman Jayanti celebrations on Sunday.
He said the case against the three leaders was filed yesterday after the DSP lodged a complaint.
Refuting the allegation, Mishra said filing of the FIR was a surprising development as the SP had thanked him for peaceful conduct of the procession even though several devotees were agitated when police prevented them from holding celebrations at a particular place.
It was alleged that Mishra manhandled the DSP when police tried to restrict the procession near the place of worship of another community, police said.
The three men had been booked for wrongful assembly, assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharging duty, wrongful restraint and obscene act in public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves