MLA booked for assaulting police officer
Sambalpur: BJP MLA Jaynarayan Mishra and two others were booked by police for allegedly assaulting a deputy superintendent of police (DSP) during a religious procession here, police said Tuesday.
Besides Mishra, former municipal chairman Girish Patel and BJP leader Siba Agarwal were booked for allegedly abusing and assaulting DSP J Senapati during the procession on the occasion of Hanuman Jayanti celebrations on Sunday.
He said the case against the three leaders was filed yesterday after the DSP lodged a complaint.
Refuting the allegation, Mishra said filing of the FIR was a surprising development as the SP had thanked him for peaceful conduct of the procession even though several devotees were agitated when police prevented them from holding celebrations at a particular place.
It was alleged that Mishra manhandled the DSP when police tried to restrict the procession near the place of worship of another community, police said.
The three men had been booked for wrongful assembly, assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharging duty, wrongful restraint and obscene act in public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price