Sasan bandh against SC verdict on trans-location o
Rajkot: Villages and towns around the Gir wildlife sanctuary located in Junagadh district including Sasan village Thursday observed a total bandh to protest the Supreme Court ruling on trans-location of some of the Asiatic lions to Madhya Pradesh.
The bandh call was given by Gir Nature Club and supported by various organisations - including trade unions, Sasan Hotel association and guide association.
A rally was today taken out which submitted a memorandum to the Sasan Mamlatdar in this regard, Sasan Hotel Association secretary Pyaru Vadsariya said.
Sasan is a village on the boundary of Gir sanctuary and is the main entry point to it. The Supreme Court had on Monday allowed trans-location of Asiatic lions from Gujarat to Madhya Pradesh, saying the species is under threat of extinction and needs a second home.
"We respect our judicial system but the decision on shifting of lions to Madhya Pradesh has been taken without proper scrutiny," the memorandum said.
"Trans-location of some Asiatic lions to Madhya Pradesh is improper because in the past some lions were shifted there and could not match the atmosphere there and failed to survive," it said adding that "Gir is the only place where the atmosphere is suitable to the Asiatic lions."
Gujarat Finance Minister and state spokesperson Nitin Patel had yesterday said that the state government would be exploring "all legal options" against the SC verdict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video