Shivraj Singh Chouhan to be sworn in as Madhya Pradesh CM today
Bhopal: Shivraj Singh Chouhan, who led BJP to its third straight victory in the Madhya Pradesh Assembly Election, was on Friday unanimously elected leader of BJP`s legislature wing, paving the way for him to take over as the Chief Minister for a fresh term.
The newly-elected BJP MLAs chose Chouhan as their leader at a meeting in the party office in Bhopal.
Senior legislator and former chief minister Babulal Gaur proposed Chouhan`s name and it was seconded by Narottam Mishra, Ranjana Baghel, Lalsingh Arya and Divyaraj Singh.
Chouhan (54) will take oath as Chief Minister for the third time in a row on Saturday.
After eliciting the views of the 165 MLAs, senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj formally declared Chouhan as the chief of the party`s legislature wing.
Swaraj and another BJP leader Rajiv Pratap Rudy were deputed as observers for the meeting by the party`s central leadership.
Besides them, BJP National General Secretary (Organisation) Ramlal, General Secretary in-charge of Madhya Pradesh Anant Kumar, former Chief Minister Kailash Joshi, National Vice-President Prabhat Jha and State unit president Narendra Singh Tomar were present on the occasion.
Chouhan will take oath at a function at Jamboori Maidan in the presence of top BJP leaders, including LK Advani, Rajnath Singh and Narendra Modi.
Swaraj, Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley, BJP Chief Ministers Raman Singh, Vasundhara Raje Scindia and Manohar Parrikar will also attend the swearing-in ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'
- Hafiz Saeed's son-in-law masterminded terror attack on CRPF convoy in Pampore: Report
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit