Strike affects banking operations, commercial activities in MP
Bhopal: Banking, Insurance and other commercial activities in Madhya Pradesh were largely affected on Wednesday due to the two-day nationwide shutdown called by trade unions against UPA`s economic and anti-labour policies.
"As per our reports over one crore employees and workers belonging to organised and unorganised sectors are taking part in the two-day-long strike affecting banking, insurance, postal and other commercial activities," Trade Union Joint Front spokesman, Pushan Bhattacharya told a news agency.
Eleven central trade unions are supporting the bandh affecting work in public sector units like BHEL, BSNL, insurance companies and all nationalised banks, he said.
Citizens have been appealed to join the bandh on the second day, Bhattacharya said.
People from the unorganised sector including transport, mandi and anganwadi are also participating in the strike, he said.
Employees from the industrial sector are on strike today while Bhopal bandh will be called tomorrow, Bhattacharya said.
However, emergency services including hospitals and petrol pumps remained open.
Trade Unions have put forward a charter of 10 demands in front of the Central government and bank managements.
The demands include urgent steps to control price rise, strict enforcement of labour laws in all places of work, social security net for workers in the unorganised sector, stop disinvestment of PSUs and raising minimum wages.
The employees and officers of nationalised banks including Reserve Bank of India, State Bank of India, Central Bank of India, Punjab National Bank as well as 30 other banks are also on strike, he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview