Train derails after hitting tractor in Bhopal
Bhopal: Nearly 1,000 passengers of a
Gwalior-bound narrow-gauge train escaped unhurt when its engine derailed after hitting a tractor and the coaches got stuck over a canal bridge.
The incident took place around 4.30 PM yesterday when the
train was crossing a bridge over a canal on Chambal River near
Sheopur, about 600 km from here. The train was heading to
Gwalior from Sheopur.
"A major train mishap was averted as no casualty was reported from the mishap site," Sheopur District Police Superintendent (SP) Mahendra Singh Sikarwar said over phone today.
After hitting the tractor at an unmanned crossing, the engine of the train got derailed and its coaches stopped right
over the bridge triggering panic among passengers, he said.
"There were about 1,000 passengers in the train and it
was great that none of the passengers, who were stuck in the
coaches just above the canal, did not jump into water out of
panic," Sikarwar said.
Many of the panic-stricken passengers went on top of the
coaches. But, all the passengers were safely rescued from the
stranded coaches over the canal by late evening, he said.
A total of seven coaches were stranded over the bridge, which is about 80 feet in length and 15 feet in height.
The canal, which was full of water, was about eight feet
deep, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA