Woman gang-raped in MP; BJP corporator among five booked
Datia: A 22-year-old woman was allegedly gangraped by five persons, including a BJP corporator, near Dang Karera village in the district, police said on Wednesday.
The incident took place on Monday night, an officer from Jigna Police Station here said. BJP corporator from Datia Municipal Council, Balkishen Kushwaha, has been identified as one of the five accused, police said, adding that they were yet to make any arrests in the case.
An FIR has been registered against the five accused in the case, they said. The accused, who were carrying weapons, raped the woman near Dang Karera village when she was returning from Shersha village with her brother in-law, police said.
The victim told the police that the accused stopped them and attacked her brother in-law and then raped her.
The victim has been sent for medical examination, they added. Targeting the state government over the incident, Leader of the Opposition in the Madhya Pradesh Assembly Ajay Singh said Datia district has now become the crime capital of the state, as a Swiss tourist had also been gangraped at a forest area in the district on the night of March 15.
Ajay Singh said that it was "shameful" that a BJP corporator was one of the accused in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA