Woman gang-raped in MP; BJP corporator among five booked
Datia: A 22-year-old woman was allegedly gangraped by five persons, including a BJP corporator, near Dang Karera village in the district, police said on Wednesday.
The incident took place on Monday night, an officer from Jigna Police Station here said. BJP corporator from Datia Municipal Council, Balkishen Kushwaha, has been identified as one of the five accused, police said, adding that they were yet to make any arrests in the case.
An FIR has been registered against the five accused in the case, they said. The accused, who were carrying weapons, raped the woman near Dang Karera village when she was returning from Shersha village with her brother in-law, police said.
The victim told the police that the accused stopped them and attacked her brother in-law and then raped her.
The victim has been sent for medical examination, they added. Targeting the state government over the incident, Leader of the Opposition in the Madhya Pradesh Assembly Ajay Singh said Datia district has now become the crime capital of the state, as a Swiss tourist had also been gangraped at a forest area in the district on the night of March 15.
Ajay Singh said that it was "shameful" that a BJP corporator was one of the accused in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened