1993 Mumbai blasts verdict: Sanjay Dutt files review petition against SC judgement
Mumbai: Days after being granted one more month to surrender, actor Sanjay Dutt has filed a review petition in the Supreme Court challenging his conviction and five-year jail term in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.
The review petition against the March 21 judgement of the apex court was filed by 53-year-old Dutt on Friday and is likely to come up for hearing next week, sources said.
Dutt was held guilty by the TADA court in 2007 under the Arms Act for possession of an automatic rifle, but he was acquitted under the stringent TADA (Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act), with the trial judge observing that he was not a "terrorist". The court accepted his confessional statement that he had procured the weapon for self-defence during the riots.
The Supreme Court, on March 21, this year, had dismissed Dutt`s appeal, but reduced the prison term to five years from six years.
Dutt had been directed to surrender on April 18, but he sought more time in view his professional commitments. He was granted another four weeks` time by the apex court on "humanitarian grounds".
A Delhi-based legal team of Dutt`s has now filed a review petition against the March 21 judgement, the sources said. It contends that the confession made under TADA cannot be treated as evidence for offences under other Acts when the accused has been acquitted under TADA.
The petition has sought reconsideration of the rule laid down in three-bench judgement in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, which held that confession under TADA would be valid for offences under other Acts too. The Supreme Court had relied on this judgement while deciding the appeals filed by convicts of the 1993 blasts case.
Dutt has served 18 months in prison during the trial, and has to undergo a jail term of three-and-a-half years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark