1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts convict dies
Mumbai: An 85-year-old convict in 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts case, whose seven years` sentence was enhanced to life imprisonment by Supreme Court recently, passed away on Sunday after a prolonged illness, official sources said.
A resident of Sandheri in nearby Raigad district, Isaaq Mohd Hajwane was suffering from dementia and other ailments.
Hajwane died at his native place Sandheri, his lawyer Farhana Shah said, adding that he had mentally prepared himself to surrender by May 17 in keeping with Supreme Court directive.
The Supreme Court had granted Hajwane, actor Sanjay Dutt and 5 others four weeks` additional time to surrender.
Hajwane was convicted by the then TADA Judge PD Kode for his role in arms training at Sandheri and possessing hand grenades which were part of consignments used in the serial blasts.
The TADA court had sentenced Hajwane to seven years` rigorous imprisonment for his role in the serial bomb blasts case. However, the government appealed in Supreme Court to enhance the punishment and the apex court awarded him life imprisonment.
On March 12, 1993, serial bomb blasts rocked the metropolis at various places, killing more than 250 and injuring over 700.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read