1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts convict dies
Mumbai: An 85-year-old convict in 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts case, whose seven years` sentence was enhanced to life imprisonment by Supreme Court recently, passed away on Sunday after a prolonged illness, official sources said.
A resident of Sandheri in nearby Raigad district, Isaaq Mohd Hajwane was suffering from dementia and other ailments.
Hajwane died at his native place Sandheri, his lawyer Farhana Shah said, adding that he had mentally prepared himself to surrender by May 17 in keeping with Supreme Court directive.
The Supreme Court had granted Hajwane, actor Sanjay Dutt and 5 others four weeks` additional time to surrender.
Hajwane was convicted by the then TADA Judge PD Kode for his role in arms training at Sandheri and possessing hand grenades which were part of consignments used in the serial blasts.
The TADA court had sentenced Hajwane to seven years` rigorous imprisonment for his role in the serial bomb blasts case. However, the government appealed in Supreme Court to enhance the punishment and the apex court awarded him life imprisonment.
On March 12, 1993, serial bomb blasts rocked the metropolis at various places, killing more than 250 and injuring over 700.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city