1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts convict dies
Mumbai: An 85-year-old convict in 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts case, whose seven years` sentence was enhanced to life imprisonment by Supreme Court recently, passed away on Sunday after a prolonged illness, official sources said.
A resident of Sandheri in nearby Raigad district, Isaaq Mohd Hajwane was suffering from dementia and other ailments.
Hajwane died at his native place Sandheri, his lawyer Farhana Shah said, adding that he had mentally prepared himself to surrender by May 17 in keeping with Supreme Court directive.
The Supreme Court had granted Hajwane, actor Sanjay Dutt and 5 others four weeks` additional time to surrender.
Hajwane was convicted by the then TADA Judge PD Kode for his role in arms training at Sandheri and possessing hand grenades which were part of consignments used in the serial blasts.
The TADA court had sentenced Hajwane to seven years` rigorous imprisonment for his role in the serial bomb blasts case. However, the government appealed in Supreme Court to enhance the punishment and the apex court awarded him life imprisonment.
On March 12, 1993, serial bomb blasts rocked the metropolis at various places, killing more than 250 and injuring over 700.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know