79-yr-old widow seeks support for legal battle on Facebook
Mumbai: A 79-year-old widow has gathered support of over 2,400 followers from India and abroad on a social networking website for her legal battle against Maharashtra police officials over her "illegal arrest".
Mohini Kamwani, along with her 58-year-old son Dilip, have been seeking support on social networking website Facebook, claiming they were illegally arrested by police last year.
The mother-son duo were arrested on January 25 last year for threatening to commit suicide on Republic Day to protest against alleged police inaction over a property dispute.
"My son and I were demanding action against certain police officers who were harassing us. Seeing inaction and being helpless, we had written to authorities that we would commit suicide. Following which police had arrested us and we were put in jail on a local court`s order," Mohini said.
She claimed that no legal procedure was followed before arresting them.
"No women police officer was present when I was arrested with my son. We were bundled into the van with no regard to my age. For which, we moved a criminal writ petition in Mumbai High Court in May last year. The case is being heard by the court," she said.
Mohini updates all news related to the court proceedings on Facebook. "I feel sad that a wife of a freedom fighter is being treated like this," she said.
There is a group of lawyers who help Kamwanis in their legal battle, said Barbara, an Australian social activist working in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’