Adarsh: Ex-Navy officer settled in NZ given domicile for flat
Mumbai: A retired Navy captain, who became a citizen of New Zealand in 2007, was issued a domicile certificate of Maharashtra in 2010 and alloted a flat in the scam-tainted Adarsh Housing Society, the judicial panel probing the case has been told.
Captain (retd) Praveen Kumar, while deposing before the two-member inquiry commission yesterday, revealed that he had migrated to New Zealand in 2003 and became a citizen of that country four years later.
According to Kumar, he had sought membership to the Adarsh society in 2008. On December 8, 2008 he wrote a letter to the Mumbai Collector giving details of his income and address.
"In the letter, I had given my address as 20/B Sheetal Apartments, Ghatkopar. I had taken this room on rent. But in fact I sent the letter from New Zealand," Kumar said.
Asked by the commission counsel Dipan Merchant why he concealed the fact that he was a resident of New Zealand, Kumar passed the buck to the society`s chief secretary and an accused in the case, RC Thakur.
"I did not mention my New Zealand address in the letter because Thakur told me I should maintain my address in Mumbai to make my case stronger. At no point I informed the collector that I had shifted to New Zealand," Kumar said.
According to the retired officer, the tehsildar`s office issued him the domicile certificate in 2010 mentioning that he was a resident of Maharashtra, and in September 2010, the then Mumbai Collector approved his membership in Adarsh.
Kumar, who retired from the Indian Navy in 1996, further said he did not mention the fact that he was a citizen of New Zealand either in his application seeking membership or in the affidavit filed with the collector.
Kumar was allotted a 2-BHK flat in the high-rise.
The two-member judicial panel, which has already ruled that the land on which the 31-storey building stands belongs to the Maharashtra Government, is now probing whether bureaucrats had flouted rules while granting permissions and approving memberships to the society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe