Adarsh scam probe: Bombay HC pulls up ED
Mumbai: Coming down heavily on the
Enforcement Directorate for "serious lapse" and failure on its
part to initiate probe against members of scam-tainted Adarsh
Society for money laundering, the Bombay High Court on Tuesday
summoned the Director of the investigating agency to appear
before it on March 12.
"It is unfortunate that ED has remained a mute spectator.
There is a serious lapse on the agency`s part for not probing
into money laundering offence. ED has not moved an inch. It
reflects a sorry state of affairs," a division bench of
justices PB Majmudar and RD Dhanuka said.
The court was hearing a batch of petitions filed by
social activists Simpreet Singh and Pravin Wategaonkar seeking
the court`s intervention to supervise the probe and ED to
initiate inquiry into money laundering offences.
The court was irked when it was informed by ED lawyer
that it had not begun its probe as CBI was investigating the
matter. "Why are you depending on the CBI? You are a separate
agency and can conduct probe independently," Majmudar said.
Directing the ED Director to remain personally present
before the court on March 12, the court said the agency should
inform it what steps are contemplated and in what matter. "We
are summoning the director as there has been no assistance
from his department to the court," Justice Majmudar said.
The bench also raised concerns over the tardy probe by
CBI which has been investigating the case since January last
year. "Why have you not finished the investigation till now?
It is a matter where many big names are concerned. You (CBI)
must be careful but at the same time you cannot let people
question your credibility," the court said.
Asking CBI to file a status report on what progress has
been in the probe on the next date of hearing, the court said,
"If we are satisfied with the status report we will grant you
more time to investigate. If it seems that you are inactive
then a special team would have to be formed to probe the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared