Anna Hazare, Gen V K Singh to receive Gandhi memorabilia at airport
Mumbai: Anna Hazare and former Indian Army chief V K Singh will receive items from the Mahatma Gandhi memorabilia purchased by an Indian businessman here on Tuesday.
Former Union minister and prominent city businessman Kamal Morarka had acquired 29 items of the Mahatma Gandhi memorabilia at an auction in the UK last year.
"Bapu`s memorabilia has arrived from UK and will be received at the Mumbai international airport by Anna Hazare, General (retd) V K Singh and Magsaysay awardee Rajendra Singh tomorrow," sources close to Morarka said.
The memorabilia will be showcased at tour events throughout the country in order to re-introduce Gandhi and Gandhian philosophy to Indian youth, they said.
The memorabilia includes blades of grass and soil pigmented with Mahatma Gandhi`s blood, retrieved from Birla House in Delhi, where he was assassinated in 1948. The purchase was done through the Kamal Morarka Foundation for the Arts.
Other items include Mahatma Gandhi`s pair of iconic spectacles, the famous wooden `charkha` (spinning wheel) which he used, a prayer book signed by him, several letters and other documents pertaining to his life.
"The purchase is not a commercial decision but an emotional one," Morarka had said after the auction.
"We don`t intend to re-sell such objects, but to bring them back to India and share them with our people. These are important heritage artifacts that have eluded us for long after being kept in private hands outside India," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what