Bansal launches train services on Dahanu-Churchgat
Thane: Local train services on the 124-km Dahanu-Churchgate route were on Tuesday inaugurated here by Union Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal on the 160th anniversary of the Indian Railways.
He also inaugurated the Virar car shed on the occasion.
During his address, Bansal said the new train services between Dahanu and Churchgate will go a long way in fulfilling the needs of the people in the area and also to a large extent help improve the economic conditions of tribals in the region.
The Minister said that since Mumbai is the economic capital and contributes majorly to the GDP, it would always be given priority in provision of services and stepping up of infrastructure, especially for people from suburbs.
He said that out of 2.3 crore railway commuters, 53 per cent came from suburban section. Of this, Mumbai suburban section accounted for nearly 61 per cent.
Hence this division will from time to time receive the maximum benefits, he said.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan was the chief guest for the function which was held at the Dahanu road railway station.
He took up the issue of deaths on tracks every year and also referred to the proposed elevated rail corridor between Churchgate and Virar which will to a large extent solve the present problems on the suburban section.
Guardian Minister Ganesh Naik was also present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot