Bansal launches train services on Dahanu-Churchgat
Thane: Local train services on the 124-km Dahanu-Churchgate route were on Tuesday inaugurated here by Union Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal on the 160th anniversary of the Indian Railways.
He also inaugurated the Virar car shed on the occasion.
During his address, Bansal said the new train services between Dahanu and Churchgate will go a long way in fulfilling the needs of the people in the area and also to a large extent help improve the economic conditions of tribals in the region.
The Minister said that since Mumbai is the economic capital and contributes majorly to the GDP, it would always be given priority in provision of services and stepping up of infrastructure, especially for people from suburbs.
He said that out of 2.3 crore railway commuters, 53 per cent came from suburban section. Of this, Mumbai suburban section accounted for nearly 61 per cent.
Hence this division will from time to time receive the maximum benefits, he said.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan was the chief guest for the function which was held at the Dahanu road railway station.
He took up the issue of deaths on tracks every year and also referred to the proposed elevated rail corridor between Churchgate and Virar which will to a large extent solve the present problems on the suburban section.
Guardian Minister Ganesh Naik was also present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi