Bansal launches train services on Dahanu-Churchgat
Thane: Local train services on the 124-km Dahanu-Churchgate route were on Tuesday inaugurated here by Union Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal on the 160th anniversary of the Indian Railways.
He also inaugurated the Virar car shed on the occasion.
During his address, Bansal said the new train services between Dahanu and Churchgate will go a long way in fulfilling the needs of the people in the area and also to a large extent help improve the economic conditions of tribals in the region.
The Minister said that since Mumbai is the economic capital and contributes majorly to the GDP, it would always be given priority in provision of services and stepping up of infrastructure, especially for people from suburbs.
He said that out of 2.3 crore railway commuters, 53 per cent came from suburban section. Of this, Mumbai suburban section accounted for nearly 61 per cent.
Hence this division will from time to time receive the maximum benefits, he said.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan was the chief guest for the function which was held at the Dahanu road railway station.
He took up the issue of deaths on tracks every year and also referred to the proposed elevated rail corridor between Churchgate and Virar which will to a large extent solve the present problems on the suburban section.
Guardian Minister Ganesh Naik was also present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say