Bombay HC grants bail to former Ulhasnagar MLA in murder case
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Friday granted bail to former Ulhasnagar MLA Suresh (Pappu) Kalani in an appeal filed by him against conviction in a 15-year-old murder case, despite opposition by Maharashtra Government.
The bail was granted by a bench headed by Justice Naresh Patil who asked Kalani to furnish a surety of Rs one lakh and report to Kalyan police once in a fortnight. Kalani was restrained from entering Ulhasnagar town.
65-year-old Kalani and three others were found guilty by a Thane court on November 29 last year and given life sentence for the murder of BJP worker Inder Bhatija in 1999.
Special public prosecutor Vikas Patil opposed Kalani`s bail saying he had created a terror in Ulhasnagar town. Kalani was allegedly involved in many crimes after he was given bail by the Supreme Court during the trial in this case.
This only showed that he has disregard for judiciary and acted on his own whims and fancies, the prosecutor argued.
Kalani`s lawyer Niteen Pradhan submitted that there was no direct evidence to show the role of Kalani in Inder Bhatija`s murder. Moreover, two major witnesses, the father and the wife of the deceased, had turned hostile, he said.
Inder`s brother, Ghanashyam, was earlier murdered on February 27, 1990 near the Pinto Resorts in Ulhasnagar of Thane district. Inder, who had witnessed the murder, was also shot dead on April 27, 1999 despite having police protection.
According to police, both the murders were a fall-out of long-standing political and criminal enmities. Police had conducted trial against accused, Pappu Kalani, Bacchi Pandey (50), Baba Gabrial (52), Mohamad Asrat Sheikh (45), Narendra Ramsinghani and Richard.
While Bacchi, Baba and Mohamad were held guilty of murder under section 302 IPC and conspiracy, Kalani was convicted only for conspiracy (section 120-B of IPC). Ramsinghani and Richard were acquitted for want of evidence.
Although Kalani has been convicted for Inder`s murder, the trial in Ghansham`s murder case is pending in Thane Court.
Kalani was president of Ulhasnagar Municipal Council and Congress MLA at one time. Later, he floated his own party.
He has been Congress MLA from Ulhasnagar twice, while in 1995 and 1999 Kalani was elected as an independent. In 2004, he won as candidate of Republican Party of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp