Bombay HC issues notice to Raj Thackeray over contempt petition
Mumbai: Bombay High Court on Monday issued notice to MNS chief Raj Thackeray over a petition filed by an advocate seeking contempt action against him for his comments against the judiciary last year.
A division bench of Justices PV Hardas and Mridula Bhatkar was hearing the petition filed by Ejaz Naqvi, seeking criminal action against the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena leader for his remarks against the High Court and its judges after he was refused permission to hold a political rally at Shivaji Park in central Mumbai.
"Issue notice to respondent 1 (Raj Thackeray) and other respondents. Respondents to file affidavit within four weeks," the High Court directed.
According to the contempt petition, Raj had allegedly called the February 2012 decision of Bombay High Court refusing him permission to hold rally as "partisan".
On February 5 last year, the High Court had rejected a petition filed by MNS seeking permission to hold a political rally at the Shivaji Park, on the ground that the venue fell under the silence zone.
As per the petition, soon after the High Court`s decision, Raj had in a speech referred to the decision as partisan.
"The aforesaid remark scandalises the High Court and tends to lower its authority and dignity. The remark cast an unwarranted aspersion of partiality against the Bombay High Court," the petition says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested