CST pauses in its busy tracks to remember 26/11
Mumbai: Barely 24 hours after he was hanged, Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Amir Kasab had seemingly faded away though memories of the trauma he wrought at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) four years ago remained strong amid the everyday station bustle on Thursday.
At CST, where Kasab and his associate Abu Ismail massacred over 50 people, many commuters lit a lamp in front of a memorial to the victims on Thursday and also distributed sweets. It was chaos as usual.
Adding to the hubbub were the tap-tap sound of shoeshine boys and the chatter of fisherfolk, who were running around with huge baskets of fish on their heads, ducking every other minute to avoid running into the hurrying officegoers.
Stall owners were served breakfast, refreshments, tea, coffee and juices to their customers. As always, people were seen rushing to catch trains with paper cups in their hands.
It was a normal day for Jason D`Souza, a regular commuter at CST. He remembered vividly the night of November 26, 2008 when the terror attack took place.
"I had missed the fast train to Thane and was heading to the rest room when I heard some shots near the outstation train`s platform. Initially, I thought someone was bursting crackers. But when I went there, I saw two dead bodies and realised it is an attack," said D`Souza.
"When I could not find a train, I ran towards the exit and got into a bus. I later got down and took a taxi to my home in Thane," he added.
Another regular commuter Sandhya Pol said there was cheer in the air now that Kasab was dead.
Commuters did ponder over the secret manner in which the entire operation took place. Many felt the move was purely political and that there was no concept of justice involved in Kasab`s sudden execution.
"It came as a mix of many feelings. We are happy that Kasab is dead, but then he was just a puppet. Moreover, I feel his execution was just a major exercise by the Congress to win votes in the coming general elections," said Ashima Narayanan, a commuter.
"But it is good to see life going back to normal at this historic station. Even the chaos here is good," she added with a smile.
Kasab, the only Pakistani terrorist caught for the November 2008 terror siege in which over 166 people were killed, was hanged Wednesday in Pune`s Yerawada jail.
The hanging rekindled the chilling image of him - caught on CCTV cameras - walking down the station with an AK-47 in his hand and backpack casually slung across his shoulders.
The Central Railway from CST covers a distance of 140 km up to Karjat and Kasara in Raigadh (south) and Thane (north) districts and carries over four million passengers every day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered