`Development only antidote to Naxalism`
Gadchiroli: Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil on Saturday commended the bravery of C-60 Commando Force jawans, who gunned down six Maoists here last week, but said Naxal problem has to be countered with development.
The Naxal movement will have to be tackle with development and people should cooperate with the Government in this task, he said, addressing the Republic Day function at Police Grounds here in Eastern Maharashtra.
"I congratulate the police jawans for their bravery but bullet is not the only answer to the Naxal problem, which will have to be countered with development," he said.
It is the collective responsibility of political workers, the media and the people to face the challenges posed by the left-wing extremism, said Patil, who is also Guardian Minister of Gadchiroli district.
At least half a dozen rebels were killed by the jawans of C-60 at village Govindgaon in Aheri taluka on January 19. It was first time so many Maoists had been killed by police in Gadchiroli, the worst Naxal-hit district in Maharashtra.
It is necessary to strengthen democratic process in the district. The local administration is doing its best to popularise welfare schemes among people.
Efforts are being made to provide quality education and health services to locals, the Minister said.
Patil said a new policy for providing employment to local youth in Class 3 and 4 jobs will soon be chalked out.
"We have distributed highest number of forest land to the tribals under Forest Rights Act and efforts are being made to provide irrigation facilities, modern equipment and loan to the landholders."
Eight Naxalites, including a woman, who had surrendered before the district Superintendent of Police a few days back, were felicitated by Patil at the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000