Drought is worse than 1972, workers need to reach out: Chavan
Mumbai: Stating that the drought in the state this year is more severe than that of 1972, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Saturday asked Congress workers to reach out to the people and inform them about the government`s efforts to bring relief.
"This year`s drought is more severe than the one faced in 1972. It is serious because there is acute shortage of water," Chavan said at a state-level meeting of the party functionaries here.
Water from irrigation projects was being used for drinking purpose, he said.
Party workers should visit drought-affected regions and inform the people about the measures taken by the government, he said. "I appeal workers to wipe tears of drought-affected people....We will have to reach out to the people by showing them the work we have done as promised in the manifesto."
Dabhol power plant in the state was close to shut-down as gas supply from Andhra Pradesh had stopped; while, due to falling water-level in Jaikwadi dam, the Parli power plant has been badly affected, he said.
The meeting was attended by MPCC president Manikrao Thakre, party in-charge in Maharashtra Mohan Prakash and Relief and Rehabilitation Minister Patangrao Kadam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday