Drought is worse than 1972, workers need to reach out: Chavan
Mumbai: Stating that the drought in the state this year is more severe than that of 1972, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Saturday asked Congress workers to reach out to the people and inform them about the government`s efforts to bring relief.
"This year`s drought is more severe than the one faced in 1972. It is serious because there is acute shortage of water," Chavan said at a state-level meeting of the party functionaries here.
Water from irrigation projects was being used for drinking purpose, he said.
Party workers should visit drought-affected regions and inform the people about the measures taken by the government, he said. "I appeal workers to wipe tears of drought-affected people....We will have to reach out to the people by showing them the work we have done as promised in the manifesto."
Dabhol power plant in the state was close to shut-down as gas supply from Andhra Pradesh had stopped; while, due to falling water-level in Jaikwadi dam, the Parli power plant has been badly affected, he said.
The meeting was attended by MPCC president Manikrao Thakre, party in-charge in Maharashtra Mohan Prakash and Relief and Rehabilitation Minister Patangrao Kadam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!