Family of eight booked for dowry harassment in Thane
Thane: A case has been booked against eight persons, including three women, for alleged harassment of a housewife at powerloom town of Bhiwandi in Thane district, police said Thursday.
The complainant, Laxita Khandelwar (24) said in her complaint that she had been subjected to physical torture and harassment by her husband and her in-laws during June 2009 to July 2013, Inspector R L Dhatavkar of Nizampura police station said.
Following her complaint, police booked a case under various sections of IPC yesterday.
According to the victim, her husband and in-laws tortured her as she could not bring money from her parents, as her husband wanted to start a new business.
"Laxita said in her complaint that her husband Hitendra once kicked her in abdomen when she was pregnant and as a result of which the foetus died. She also alleged that her mother-in-law and two brothers-in-law tried to kill her by strangulating her," Dhatavkar said.
The accused also included distant relatives of her husband and in-laws.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'