Father held for torturing 13-month-old daughter
Pune: In a throwback to 2012 baby battering cases of Falak in Delhi and Ahuti Joshi in Mumbai, a 13-month-old girl was allegedly brutally beaten up by her father who was joined by some of his women relatives in the torture at their residence, police said on Wednesday.
The baby Jiya, with her both legs and a hand fractured, had been admitted to a private hospital in Theragon near here last week, they said, adding the parents told the hospital authorities that the girl sustained injuries as she fell from her bed at their residence in Pimpri-Chinchwad town.
The girl`s father Dastagir Hukkeri (28) was arrested on December 31 for allegedly thrashing his daughter as he was enraged over the birth of the third baby girl, police said.
Dastagir had two daughters from his previous marriage and remarried, apparently to have a son. However, his second wife too gave birth to the girl child.
According to police, the accused allegedly beat up Jiya with a rolling pin at his residence, police said, adding his wife kept mum as he had threatened her with dire consequences if she disclosed the torture.
However, she finally approached the police on December 31 and lodged a complaint against Dastagir and three of his women relatives, following which police arrested them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- SpaceX Dragon cargo craft departs International Space Station
- Modi-inspired khadi outfits for Goa officials every Friday
- Uttar Pradesh Police personnel to get offs every 10 days
- Eight police killed in southeast Turkey car bomb attack: Report
- AAP 'intentionally' framed Punjab chief Chhotepur before expelling him: Dharamvira Gandhi