Father held for torturing 13-month-old daughter
Pune: In a throwback to 2012 baby battering cases of Falak in Delhi and Ahuti Joshi in Mumbai, a 13-month-old girl was allegedly brutally beaten up by her father who was joined by some of his women relatives in the torture at their residence, police said on Wednesday.
The baby Jiya, with her both legs and a hand fractured, had been admitted to a private hospital in Theragon near here last week, they said, adding the parents told the hospital authorities that the girl sustained injuries as she fell from her bed at their residence in Pimpri-Chinchwad town.
The girl`s father Dastagir Hukkeri (28) was arrested on December 31 for allegedly thrashing his daughter as he was enraged over the birth of the third baby girl, police said.
Dastagir had two daughters from his previous marriage and remarried, apparently to have a son. However, his second wife too gave birth to the girl child.
According to police, the accused allegedly beat up Jiya with a rolling pin at his residence, police said, adding his wife kept mum as he had threatened her with dire consequences if she disclosed the torture.
However, she finally approached the police on December 31 and lodged a complaint against Dastagir and three of his women relatives, following which police arrested them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win