Gujarat development model tweet political, not racist: Nitesh Rane
Mumbai: Swabhimaan Sanghatana chief Nitesh Rane on Saturday justified his tweet questioning Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi’s development model by saying that it was a political statement and not a racist one.
“The statement that I made was a political statement, but since yesterday, I have been hearing that I have made a racist statement, and that I have instigated the Marathi and Gujarati communities,” he told media here on Saturday.
“But if you read my statement properly, you will understand that I made a political statement, where I said that those Gujarati people living in Mumbai who believe there is more development in Gujarat or Narendra Modi is making better progress in that state than us, the direct question that I put forward is if there is so much development in Gujarat, then the people of his community should have trust in that development and they should go back to their native state. And if the people of the state don’t think such, then I don’t believe in the development in Gujarat under Narendra Modi,” he added.
Rane further said there are many Gujarati people living in Mumbai who are very proud to be living here.
The controversial tweet of Nitesh Rane, the younger son of Industries Minister Narayan Rane, over Gujarati populace living in the metropolis on August 2 landed him in trouble with the Maharashtra legislative council asking the state government to initiate action against him as it may create "social discord".
He had earlier tweeted: "They live and earn their livelihood in this city, but praise Modi and Gujarat``s development model. Such people should leave Mumbai and move to Gujarat." Raising the issue in the Upper House, Bharatiya Janata Party leader (BJP) Ashish Shelar said: "the statement would create religious and social conflict in the metropolis. The statement is derogatory towards Modi and Gujarati-speaking people." Congress leader Satyavrat Chaturvedi on Saturday also said that Rane’s tweets held no importance. “He might have said something. What importance does it hold?” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon