Hacking case: `Foreigner` planted skimming device in Colaba ATM
Mumbai: Police investigating the Axis Bank accounts hacking case, where money from salaried accounts of some policemen was fraudulently withdrawn in Greece, suspect that a foreigner attached a "skimming" device to the ATM in Colaba to clone debit cards of cops.
"The process of scrutinising the CCTV footage obtained from the ATM is over. We suspect that a foreigner attached the skimming device (to the ATM)," said a police official without elaborating.
The ATM which was bugged by fraudsters is located near the police headquarters in South Mumbai.
The investigators had said that the device was planted between May 7 and May 29 and also did not deny the possibility of questioning the accused arrested in connection with a 2012 credit cards fraud case in which some African nationals and a trader from Ulhasnagar in neighbouring Thane district were involved.
A total of 29 Axis Bank accounts, including 12 operated by Mumbai policemen, had been hacked in the last two months and Rs 13 lakh withdrawn through ATMs in euro currency in Greece.
The accounts were hacked during April and May.
Axis Bank had said it compensated all the affected customers and launched an investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray