HC acquits three convicted to life term in murder case
Mumbai: Eleven years after being convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment in a murder case, the Bombay High Court has overturned the conviction and acquitted three persons after observing that they have been falsely implicated in the case.
A division bench of Justices P V Hardas and A S Gadkari overturned the conviction and life sentence awarded to three accused - Maruti Dhangar, Laxman Babu Konkeri and Bhima Sidda Mang - by a sessions court at Kolhapur in 1993.
The court, however, upheld the conviction and life sentence of the fourth accused - Pandurang Konkeri. According to prosecution, on September 26, 1988, the four had assaulted one Birappa and Rama, the cousin brothers of one of the accused Maruti. The accused had assaulted the two after a feud over agricultural land between the victims and Maruti. While Birappa died on the spot, Rama survived and was the sole eye witness in the case.
The sessions court had convicted the four relying on the evidence given by Rama.
The High Court, however, discredited Rama`s testimony and observed that the evidence given by other witnesses and circumstantial evidence submitted by prosecution shows that only Pandurang had assaulted the two and that Rama included Maruti and other persons` names due to personal enmity.
"The evidence of the prosecution clearly indicates that it was Pandurang who had alone assaulted deceased Birappa and witness Rama. The evidence does not conclusively establish that the other three accused had assaulted the two. Thus the three would be entitled to be given the benefit of doubt," the court observed.
"The conviction and sentence of Maruti Dhangar, Laxman Babu Konkeri and Bhima Sidda Mang is hereby quashed and set aside and they are acquitted of the offence with which they were charged and convicted," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS